Property | For Sale Exclusive Agent | ID# 000711
As It Was…
The Liberty Theatre was built in 1939 by Mr H.L. Phillips for the princely sum of £13,000 and during the war years provided welcome entertainment and news reels for the township of Yass. The fittings throughout the theatre were in the most up to date and luxurious style and many brides were photographed in the building during its early years. As a ‘talkie’ theatre it had one of the most modern operating boxes in the state at the time and the first feature to air was ‘Goodbye Mr Chips’ on December 15th, 1939. You were able to partake of the entertainment in one of the 700 seats for 1/6 for a seat in the stalls or 2/7 for the dress circle seats and a sleek modern milk bar was established to provide refreshments during intermission. The Liberty Café is still in existence today.
The Liberty Theatre is now home to Community Groups such as the Dramatic Society and the local Craft Co-operative. The dress circle and first floor foyer has remained largely untouched since 1974, leaving a time-capsule and link to an earlier era. Many of the fittings remain such as the concealed gold neon lighting and the art-deco fixtures including the original carpet imported from Belgium. Holding a prominent place within Yass’s main street the Liberty Theatre is poised to return to its glory days with many possible uses for the entrepreneurial minded.
At A Glance
Lot: Lots C & D
Block Size: 480.7m2 (approx.)
Rates: 3153.86 per annum (approx.)
Zoning: B2 (Local Centre)
Distance: Canberra – 40 minutes (approx.)
Sydney – 2.5 hours (approx.)
- Historic art deco theatre located in a prominent corner position on the main street of Yass.
- Adjacent to cafes and supermarkets.
- Many original features remain including concealed neon lighting, decorative plasterwork and some original carpets.
- Currently home to two community groups, Yass Reparatory and Yass Art & Craft Co-op, along with a commercial premises.
- Two main street shop fronts.
- The current owners have collected a wealth of history and plans for the property.
- The site would suit a number of opportunities STCA
All information contained herein is gathered from sources we believe to be reliable. However, we cannot guarantee its accuracy and interested persons should rely on their own enquiries.
|Property Type: Property||Listing Type: For Sale||Status: Exclusive Agent|
|Price: $580,000+||Location: Yass NSW 2582||Land Size: 480.7 Square Metres|